Saturday, May 23, 2026
FB X LI YT
Breaking
Cristiano Ronaldo Ties Mayweather with $300 Million Haul as Top Athletes Earn $1.4 Billion OUTRAGE 🇳🇬🚨: FRSC Condemns Abuja Traffic Shooting by DSS Operative — Alleged gunshots fired during stop raise concern over conduct and safety. Amin Tijjani Muhammad, popularly known as “Mayor”, is a political figure eyeing the Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC) seat in the Borno State House of Assembly under the Allied Democratic Congress (ADC). UPDATE 🇳🇬⚖️: Kano Rep Alhassan Ado Doguwa denies substance allegations over viral blue tongue clip, insisting it was “sweet blue candy” and blaming political enemies for the controversy. “West Africa is becoming a major global drug trafficking corridor after Nigeria’s $360 million meth lab bust,” Tinubu warns. BREAKING 🌍🔥: Seyi Vibez becomes Africa’s most streamed artist on Audiomack — Oluwaloseyi keeps choking the charts 🥵❤️ BREAKING 🇳🇬⚫: Abia Nursing Student Wendy Achumba Found Beheaded in Imo Apartment – Police launch investigation into brutal killing and begin manhunt for suspects. BIG STAGE 🇳🇬⚽: Ex Internationals Cup Kicks Off in Lagos – Nigerian football legends return to action as veterans light up the pitch in a star packed showdown 💪🏆
NEWS

UEFA Allows Russian U-17 Teams to Compete in Europe

September 27, 2023 2 min read

Russia will be readmitted to European U17 competitions for the first time since the country’s invasion of Ukraine 19 months ago, Uefa has confirmed.

The European football’s governing body said boys and girls should not be punished for the actions of adults.

“Football should never give up sending messages of peace and hope,” the organisation said in a statement.

Uefa suspended all Russian teams from European competitions when the full-scale invasion began in February 2022.

It also revoked hosting rights for the 2022 Champions League final and 2023 Super Cup, which were due to be held in Saint Petersburg and Kazan respectively, as well as cancelling the sponsorship contract with state-owned energy giant Gazprom.

Uefa said it has “reiterated its condemnation of Russia’s illegal war” and confirmed all other Russian teams remained suspended.

“Uefa’s continuing suspension against Russian adult teams reflects its commitment to take a stand against violence and aggression. Uefa is determined that this position will continue until the war is over and peace restored,” said the organisation’s president, Aleksander Ceferin.

“But by banning children from our competitions, we not only fail to recognise and uphold a fundamental right for their holistic development but we directly discriminate against them.

“By providing opportunities to play and compete with their peers from all over Europe, we are investing in what we hope will be a brighter and more capable future generation and a better tomorrow.”

Uefa’s executive committee has asked the organisation’s administration to “propose a technical solution” to allow teams back into U17 competitions, even if they had already started.

It added that the matches would not be played in Russia and the teams would not be allowed wear the national kit, display their flag or play their anthem.

The next Under-17 male European Championship finals are due to be played in Cyprus next year.

The women’s equivalent will be held in Sweden next May.