Producing Quality Graduates Paramount, Says NUC

The Deputy Executive Secretary (Academic) of the National Universities Commission, Dr Noel Saliu, has said the distinguishing element of a university is to produce quality graduates.

Presenting a paper on ‘Curriculum and Technology: Changing Face of the Workplace,’ at the 2023 Staff Colloquium of Caleb University, Imota, Lagos, Saliu urged the staff to leverage the newly introduced Core Curriculum Minimum Academic Standard to produce world class scholars.

Recently, NUC convened a meeting of stakeholders to reiterate the implementation of the new curriculum which is taking effect from the 2023/2024 Session.

He said: “Majorly, the CCMAS contains 70 per cent core courses for all programmes, with universities developing the remaining 30 per cent innovative courses, based on their peculiarities; and the introduction of blended learning in the delivery of the curriculum. The university staff should leverage the newly introduced CCMAS to produce world-class scholars, as the quality of graduates remains the distinguishing element of a University.”

Earlier, the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Nosa Owens-Ibie, presented a paper on ‘Attitude re-engineering for Curriculum Implementation.’

He narrated how Caleb University developed a response to the COVID-19-induced lockdown, saying that the university had consistently maintained and operated its academic calendar without a break.

Owens-Ibie counselled on the need for a positive approach to the implementation of the new curriculum launched in December 2022 by the NUC.

He also reminded participants that in line with the ‘character for leadership’ mantra of the university, “character is the evidence of who you really are.”