Sunday, May 24, 2026
FB X LI YT
Breaking
EDITORIAL: The Igbo Mockery of Yoruba Terror Attacks – A Rebuttal BREAKING πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬πŸš¨: Doctor and Wife Kidnapped in Kogi Attack – Gunmen stormed a community in Kogi State, abducting a medical doctor and his wife. πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬ πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸŽ“FUTA alumnus Dr Abdullahi Saka rises to professorial cadre at University of Westminster β€” recognition for his strong impact in construction informatics and sustainable digital construction research. JUST IN: Oyo ACCORD Issues Stern Warning to Guber Aspirant Oriyomi Hamzat Over Alleged Screening Violence Cristiano Ronaldo Ties Mayweather with $300 Million Haul as Top Athletes Earn $1.4 Billion OUTRAGE πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬πŸš¨: FRSC Condemns Abuja Traffic Shooting by DSS Operative β€” Alleged gunshots fired during stop raise concern over conduct and safety. Amin Tijjani Muhammad, popularly known as β€œMayor”, is a political figure eyeing the Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC) seat in the Borno State House of Assembly under the Allied Democratic Congress (ADC). UPDATE πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬βš–οΈ: Kano Rep Alhassan Ado Doguwa denies substance allegations over viral blue tongue clip, insisting it was β€œsweet blue candy” and blaming political enemies for the controversy.
NEWS

Okezie Ogbata defrauds Over $6 million from 400 US victims in transnational inheritance scam, pleads guilty

January 17, 2025 2 min read

January 17, 2025

By Adedoja Adesoji

A 36-year-old Nigerian national, Okezie Bonaventure Ogbata, has been implicated in a large-scale transnational inheritance scam that defrauded over $6 million from more than 400 elderly and vulnerable victims in the US.

Ogbata’s scheme involved sending personalized letters to victims, claiming to represent a Spanish bank and alleging that they were entitled to multimillion-dollar inheritances left by deceased family members overseas.

Victims were then deceived into sending money for supposed delivery fees, taxes, and other payments to facilitate the release of their inheritance funds.

“The Justice Department’s Consumer Protection Branch will continue to pursue transnational criminals wherever they are located,” said Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General Brian M. Boynton.

β€œThis case is a testament to the critical role of international collaboration in tackling transnational crime”.

Ogbata faces up to 20 years in prison and is scheduled to be sentenced on April 14, 2025, before Judge Roy K. Altman.

This is not an isolated incident, as six other co-conspirators from the UK, Spain, and Nigeria have previously been convicted and sentenced in connection with this scheme.

The sentences ranged from 82 to 128 months in prison.

“The long arm of the American justice system has no limits when it comes to reaching fraudsters who prey on our nation’s most vulnerable populations, to include the elderly,” said U.S. Attorney Markenzy Lapointe for the Southern District of Florida.