Friday, May 22, 2026
FB X LI YT
Breaking
UPDATE 🇳🇬⚖️: Kano Rep Alhassan Ado Doguwa denies substance allegations over viral blue tongue clip, insisting it was “sweet blue candy” and blaming political enemies for the controversy. “West Africa is becoming a major global drug trafficking corridor after Nigeria’s $360 million meth lab bust,” Tinubu warns. BREAKING 🌍🔥: Seyi Vibez becomes Africa’s most streamed artist on Audiomack — Oluwaloseyi keeps choking the charts 🥵❤️ BREAKING 🇳🇬⚫: Abia Nursing Student Wendy Achumba Found Beheaded in Imo Apartment – Police launch investigation into brutal killing and begin manhunt for suspects. BIG STAGE 🇳🇬⚽: Ex Internationals Cup Kicks Off in Lagos – Nigerian football legends return to action as veterans light up the pitch in a star packed showdown 💪🏆 “Kidnappings in Oyo were carried out by terrorists displaced by intensified military operations nationwide.” — Defence Headquarters BREAKING 🇳🇬🏛️: Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq has reportedly dropped Ambassador Abdulfatai Yahaya Seriki of the Ilorin Emirate axis and is now backing Yakubu Danladi-Salihu from the Baruten/Borgu axis of Kwara North as his preferred successor for the 2027 governorship election. Danladi is expected to face other APC aspirants in today’s party primaries amid rising succession tension within the ruling party. “Enough Of The Bloodshed, Yorubaland Is Under Siege” — Isese Welfare Association blasts South West governors and demands urgent adoption of indigenous Yoruba security and intelligence systems rooted in Ifa tradition, declaring that “our ancestors did not build Yorubaland for criminals to take over” after the abduction of teachers and pupils during coordinated school attacks in Oriire Local Government Area.
NEWS

Ogun govt refutes claim of wrong conviction, says Ogbonna Ogbojionu was properly jailed for armed robbery

July 10, 2025 3 min read

July 10, 2025

By Ayinde Adeleke

The Ogun State Government has strongly refuted claims that Ogbonna Ogbojionu, a recently released convict, was wrongfully imprisoned for over two decades for buying a stolen generator.

According to the government, Ogbonna was properly convicted for his involvement in an armed robbery that resulted in the death of a security guard, Moses Bankole.

Ogbonna’s journey to freedom began when Governor Dapo Abiodun commuted his death sentence to life imprisonment in June 2021, exercising his constitutional prerogative of mercy.

Later, as part of activities marking Democracy Day in 2025, Ogbonna was among those granted state pardon and released from prison.

The Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwasina Ogungbade, SAN, clarified that Ogbonna’s conviction was based on solid evidence presented in court.

“The court found Ogbonna guilty of participating in an armed robbery at an ELF petrol station, where a gang of robbers stole a 10 KVA Lister generator and killed one of the guards,” Ogungbade said.

According to Ogungbade, the prosecution presented 11 witnesses, and Ogbonna made two confessional statements without objection, choosing not to call any witnesses or present evidence in his defense.

Ogbonna was convicted on January 14, 2003, by the Ogun State High Court and initially sentenced to death.

The Attorney-General emphasized that the prerogative of mercy is granted entirely at the governor’s discretion, considering factors such as the convict’s offense, tendency to reoffend, ability to reintegrate into society, and reformation demonstrated.

Ogungbade contrasted Ogbonna’s behavior with that of another convict, Segun Ajibade, who was pardoned in 2016 and has allegedly lived a quiet life since then. “If, as the viral reports now claim, Segun Ajibade, has truly led a quiet life since his release, it likely suggests genuine remorse for his crimes and his gratitude for his freedom,” Ogungbade said.

“This is the exact opposite of Ogbonna’s intransigence today and could explain why Ogbonna was not considered for release when Segun was.”

The government urged Ogbonna to silently and gratefully enjoy his freedom, pursuing honest pursuits rather than spreading falsehoods about his conviction.

“Ogbonna’s crime hobbled a business, terrorised Akanni Yusuf, and killed Moses Bankole. These victims or their relations remain today, and attempts to sanitise Ogbonna’s conduct with falsehoods does fresh injustice to the victims,” Ogungbade said.

“Those who, in a misguided quest for justice, are recreating Ogbonna as a victim will do well to remember Moses Bankole – the true and irredeemable victim of Ogbonna’s crime. If Ogbonna is truly reformed, he should silently and gratefully enjoy his freedom and pursue honest pursuits. Presently, his honesty is highly doubtful, and the world is hereby notified”