Wednesday, May 20, 2026
FB X LI YT
Breaking
BREAKING 🇳🇬🚨: Nigerian Army raids Edo hideouts, arrests 12 suspected kidnappers in Owan East and Esan South East LGAs during coordinated clearance operations. BREAKING 🇳🇬🚨: Armed bandits killed a motorist, abducted two local government officials, and injured a Hajj officer in a daylight attack in Zamfara State, triggering fresh security concerns. BREAKING 🇳🇬⚖️: Former Minister Sadiya Umar Farouq reportedly in Egypt for medical treatment, declared unfit to appear in court by her counsel. “I Wish I Never Sent Them To School” — Oyo farmer cries out after four children, daughter in law and infant grandchild were abducted during the deadly school attack in Oriire area of Oyo State. BREAKING 🇳🇬🔫: Ogun Police storm forest hideout, kill suspected kidnap kingpin during fierce raid and recover AK 47 rifle alongside over ₦2 million cash believed to be linked to criminal operations. BREAKING: EFCC Releases Mugshots of Fleeing Ex-Minister Saleh Mamman After Arrest – Convicted 75 Years for N33.8bn Power Fraud Tinubu’s Aide Declares Oshinowo Winner of Kosofe House of Reps Ticket – APC Primary Drama Ends SOUTHWEST UNDER SIEGE: DAWN Commission Invites Stakeholders to Urgent Dialogue on Counterfeit Economy Threat
NEWS

KANU’S DEFENCE STALLS AS EX-COUNSEL FAILS TO RELEASE CASE FILE

October 24, 2025 2 min read

By Ademola Adekusibe | October 24, 2025

The detained leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, on Friday failed to open his defence in his ongoing terrorism trial before the Federal High Court in Abuja.

Kanu told the court that he could not proceed because his former legal team, led by ex-Attorney General of the Federation, Kanu Agabi (SAN), had not handed over his case file, preventing him from adequately preparing for his defence.

The defendant had been scheduled to begin his defence on Thursday but instead announced the dismissal of his legal team and sought a short adjournment to enable him to manage his case personally.

At Friday’s proceedings, prosecuting counsel Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN) informed the court that the matter was fixed for Kanu to open his defence. However, when called upon, Kanu explained that those responsible for transmitting his case file to the Department of State Services (DSS) facility, where he is being held, had not done so.

He pleaded for an adjournment until Monday, October 27, to enable him to access the case file and familiarise himself with its contents. Kanu also told the court he was expecting witnesses from the United Kingdom, the United States, Kenya, and Ethiopia, and requested permission to meet with them over the weekend for case preparation.

Granting the request, Justice James Omotosho ordered the DSS to allow Kanu to receive visitors on Saturday and Sunday. The judge adjourned the matter until October 27 for the defendant to open his defence, warning that the six days already allotted for his defence, which began on October 23, would not be extended.