Friday, May 22, 2026
FB X LI YT
Breaking
OFFICIAL: Al Nassr Win Saudi Pro League Title – First Championship Since Ronaldo’s Arrival Yoruba Excellence on Full Display: Meet Professor Segun Aina, the 40-Year-Old Genius with PhD, UK Degrees Now JAMB Registrar “I Nearly Lost My Life in the Struggle Against Military Rule” – Adewale Adeoye Celebrates First Award Alongside Soyinka, Tinubu, Fela, Others JUST IN: Adelabu Secures Massive Win in Ibadan South West LG as APC Primary Results Roll In Adelabu Continues Winning Streak in Oluyole LGA, Crushes Oba Sharafadeen Alli Adebayo Adelabu Humiliates Oba Sharafadeen Alli in Ona Ara LG – Landslide Victory Recorded BREAKING: Adelabu Floors Oba Sharafadeen Alli in Local Government As Oyo APC Guber Primary Results Trickle In BREAKING: “A Man Bought ₦30,000 Beans and Bread and Took It Into the Forest” – Lawmaker Warned Makinde in 2022 About Strange Movements in Old Oyo Park
NEWS

ITALIAN PM URGES NIGERIA TO PROSECUTE ATTACKERS AS CHRISTIAN COMMUNITIES FACE RENEWED BLOODSHED

November 22, 2025 2 min read

By Ademola Adekusibe
22nd November 2025

Italian Prime Minister Georgia Meloni has called on the Nigerian Federal Government to prosecute anyone found responsible for attacks on Christian communities across the country, urging authorities to strengthen security for vulnerable populations.

In a statement on Friday, Meloni condemned the recent violence against Christians in Nigeria, emphasizing that religious freedom is an inalienable human right. “We strongly condemn the renewed violence against Christian communities in Nigeria today. Religious freedom is an inalienable right: we call on the Nigerian government to strengthen the protection of Christian communities and all religious communities and prosecute those responsible for this heinous attack,” she said.

Her remarks follow a spate of attacks in recent days, including the abduction of worshippers from a church in Eruku, Kwara State, and the kidnapping of 25 girls from a boarding school in Kebbi State. In the Eruku attack on Tuesday evening, gunmen killed at least two people and abducted the pastor along with several worshippers. Local sources report that the assailants have demanded a N3 billion ransom for their release.

The renewed violence has put pressure on President Bola Tinubu’s government, prompting him to postpone a planned trip to South Africa and Angola for the G20 and AU-EU summits. The presidency said the president has received updated security briefings on both incidents and has directed security agencies “to do everything possible” to rescue the victims and bring them home safely, according to presidential spokesperson Bayo Onanuga.

Community leaders, including Chief Olusegun Olukotun, Olori Eta of Eruku, reported that several family members were among the abducted worshippers, and that the bandits had already begun contacting relatives for ransom negotiations.

Open condemnation from Italy adds to mounting international scrutiny of Nigeria’s handling of religiously motivated attacks, as U.S. President Donald Trump has also threatened military action if attacks on Christians persist.

The federal government has repeatedly stated that it opposes religious persecution and maintains efforts to safeguard freedom of belief across all states, but recent incidents continue to raise concerns about the safety of Christian communities in the Middle Belt and northern Nigeria.