Thursday, May 21, 2026
FB X LI YT
Breaking
JUST IN: Adelabu Secures Massive Win in Ibadan South West LG as APC Primary Results Roll In Adelabu Continues Winning Streak in Oluyole LGA, Crushes Oba Sharafadeen Alli Adebayo Adelabu Humiliates Oba Sharafadeen Alli in Ona Ara LG – Landslide Victory Recorded BREAKING: Adelabu Floors Oba Sharafadeen Alli in Local Government As Oyo APC Guber Primary Results Trickle In BREAKING: “A Man Bought ₦30,000 Beans and Bread and Took It Into the Forest” – Lawmaker Warned Makinde in 2022 About Strange Movements in Old Oyo Park BREAKING: Fubara Steps Down from APC Governorship Race, Pledges Support for Party Candidate Sunday Igboho Unveils 50,000-Man Security Force to Tackle Fulani Herdsmen, Bandits in Southwest BREAKING 🇳🇬🚨: Nigerian Army raids Edo hideouts, arrests 12 suspected kidnappers in Owan East and Esan South East LGAs during coordinated clearance operations.
NEWS

US Military Draws Up Airstrike Options for Nigeria After Trump’s Directive

November 6, 2025 2 min read

By Ademola Adekusibe
November 6, 2026.

The United States military has reportedly prepared operational plans for possible airstrikes in Nigeria following President Donald Trump’s instruction to the Pentagon to be ready to intervene over alleged attacks on Christians in the country.

According to The New York Times, the U.S. Africa Command presented several options to the Department of War after a request by Secretary Pete Hegseth to align with Trump’s directive.

Military officials familiar with the discussions said the proposals, categorized as heavy, medium, and light, outlined different levels of U.S. engagement in Nigeria.

Under the heavy option, Washington would deploy an aircraft carrier strike group to the Gulf of Guinea, supported by fighter jets or long-range bombers to hit militant positions in northern Nigeria.

The medium option involves using MQ-9 Reaper and MQ-1 Predator drones for targeted strikes on insurgent camps, convoys, and vehicles, while the light option focuses on intelligence sharing, logistics, and joint operations with Nigerian forces.

The New York Times report added that Pentagon officials have warned that limited airstrikes or drone operations would not end Nigeria’s prolonged insurgency unless backed by a broader military campaign similar to those in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Trump had earlier threatened to deploy American forces to Nigeria if the alleged persecution of Christians continued. The Nigerian government has dismissed the allegations, maintaining that the country faces terrorism, not religious persecution.

Information Minister Mohammed Idris said both Christians and Muslims have suffered from extremist violence, noting that since 2023, the Tinubu administration has neutralized more than 13,500 militants and rescued over 11,000 hostages.

He added that Nigeria remains open to U.S. collaboration on counterterrorism while emphasizing mutual respect for national sovereignty.