Saturday, May 23, 2026
FB X LI YT
Breaking
EDITORIAL: The Igbo Mockery of Yoruba Terror Attacks – A Rebuttal BREAKING 🇳🇬🚨: Doctor and Wife Kidnapped in Kogi Attack – Gunmen stormed a community in Kogi State, abducting a medical doctor and his wife. 🇳🇬 🇬🇧🎓FUTA alumnus Dr Abdullahi Saka rises to professorial cadre at University of Westminster — recognition for his strong impact in construction informatics and sustainable digital construction research. JUST IN: Oyo ACCORD Issues Stern Warning to Guber Aspirant Oriyomi Hamzat Over Alleged Screening Violence Cristiano Ronaldo Ties Mayweather with $300 Million Haul as Top Athletes Earn $1.4 Billion OUTRAGE 🇳🇬🚨: FRSC Condemns Abuja Traffic Shooting by DSS Operative — Alleged gunshots fired during stop raise concern over conduct and safety. Amin Tijjani Muhammad, popularly known as “Mayor”, is a political figure eyeing the Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC) seat in the Borno State House of Assembly under the Allied Democratic Congress (ADC). UPDATE 🇳🇬⚖️: Kano Rep Alhassan Ado Doguwa denies substance allegations over viral blue tongue clip, insisting it was “sweet blue candy” and blaming political enemies for the controversy.
EDUCATION

FG Warns Against Sexual Harassment in Varsities

October 12, 2023 2 min read

The Federal Government, through the Minister of Education, Prof. Tahir Mamman, on Thursday, warned members of the academia and the university community over matters of sexual harassment on campuses.

The FG noted that the Federal Ministry of Education would deal decisively with perpetrators of such acts.

According to a statement by the spokesperson, Federal Ministry of Education, Ben Goong, made available to our correspondent, Mamman gave the warning when he received the report of the committee on alleged sexual harassment by the Dean, Faculty of Law, University of Calabar, Prof. Cyril Ndifon.

He said: “Sexual harassment is a serious criminal offence and must be dealt with decisively, when and whenever it occurs, adding that the Federal Ministry of Education will do everything humanly possible to turn the ugly tide in our institutions of higher learning.”

The minister noted that the offence of sexual harassment was cancerous and must be eliminated at all cost, adding that all hands must be on deck to tackle the menace in the nation’s educational system.

He also maintained that the administration of President Bola Tinubu was out to protect the vulnerable groups within the country’s educational system.

While reiterating that he would evoke the long arm of the law to ensure that perpetrators are adequately punished, the minister added that no one would be allowed to take advantage of vulnerable groups.

The minister disclosed that sexual offences units would be established in the ministry and all institutions of higher learning to deal with the menace.

Earlier in the presentation of her report, the Vice-Chancellor, UNICAL, Prof. Florence Obi, told the minister that the university had followed all due processes in handling the matter, including the suspension of the suspect, appropriate queries and setting up of a disciplinary committee to hear all parties.

To ensure a very high degree of transparency, the VC said that The Public Complaint Commission, Nigeria Bar Association, Federation of Female Lawyers, Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, the Chief Judge of the Student’s Union High Court as well as seven civil society organisations were brought onboard the committee as observers.