Sunday, May 24, 2026
FB X LI YT
Breaking
EDITORIAL: The Igbo Mockery of Yoruba Terror Attacks – A Rebuttal BREAKING 🇳🇬🚨: Doctor and Wife Kidnapped in Kogi Attack – Gunmen stormed a community in Kogi State, abducting a medical doctor and his wife. 🇳🇬 🇬🇧🎓FUTA alumnus Dr Abdullahi Saka rises to professorial cadre at University of Westminster — recognition for his strong impact in construction informatics and sustainable digital construction research. JUST IN: Oyo ACCORD Issues Stern Warning to Guber Aspirant Oriyomi Hamzat Over Alleged Screening Violence Cristiano Ronaldo Ties Mayweather with $300 Million Haul as Top Athletes Earn $1.4 Billion OUTRAGE 🇳🇬🚨: FRSC Condemns Abuja Traffic Shooting by DSS Operative — Alleged gunshots fired during stop raise concern over conduct and safety. Amin Tijjani Muhammad, popularly known as “Mayor”, is a political figure eyeing the Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC) seat in the Borno State House of Assembly under the Allied Democratic Congress (ADC). UPDATE 🇳🇬⚖️: Kano Rep Alhassan Ado Doguwa denies substance allegations over viral blue tongue clip, insisting it was “sweet blue candy” and blaming political enemies for the controversy.
NEWS

FG Begins Payment of N585 Million Fine for Release of 4,000 Inmates Nationwide

November 18, 2023 2 min read

The Federal Government has flagged off the payment of N585 million release fine for 4,000 inmates as part of its effort to decongest the correctional facility in the country.

This was disclosed by the Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, on Saturday while flagging off the initiative at Kuje Prison, Abuja.

Tunji-Ojo said that inmates who had fines not exceeding N1 million were qualified to benefit from the ministry’s initiative.

According to him, the number of these inmates was about 4,068.

He said the initiative would promote the decongestion of the correctional facility and mitigate against overdue detention of inmates due to lack of bail funds.

“It’s with great pleasure that I stand with you today to flag off the release of 4,068 inmates sentenced to various terms of imprisonment with the option of fine and compensation in custodial status nationwide. This is in a bid to decongest custodial centres as well as make ready proper reformation and rehabilitation of offenders to take place.

“As of yesterday, the 17th of November 2023, there were about 8804 inmates in 253 custodial facilities nationwide with a total installed capacity of less than 50,000. It shows that our custodial centres are overcrowded, necessitating this initiative we are flagging off today,” he said.

The minister further noted that the government would not be funding the programme by itself, but would be funded through a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiative from private sector players and philanthropists nationwide.

“Most of the inmates are indigents who cannot afford to pay their fine languishing in custody. The total fund of N585 million was raised by corporate bodies as Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) for this purpose. Hence, all inmates in custodial centres who have fines or compensation not exceeding 1 million are qualified and will benefit from this gesture. In addition, we are also providing each of them a stipend to enable them to stand in their community,” he added.

Backstory

Earlier in October, the minister confirmed that the federal government would pay N500 million as a bail fine for 4,000 inmates in custodial facilities whose bail term did not exceed N1 million.

He confirmed this while featuring on Arise TV.

He assured that the fines would be cleared and the inmates would be released in the next four weeks.

The minister added that the ministry pulled the funds together through “dealing with the private sector in terms of CSR”.