Christmas Day Tragedy: Technician Electrocuted Erecting Billboard

A technician identified as Badmus Ola has reportedly died of electrocution in the Kajola area via Owode-Egba, Ogun State.

An eyewitness, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told PUNCH Online that the incident happened around 4.45 pm on Christmas Day.

Our correspondent learnt that the technician, along with five others, had been contracted to remove a billboard in the area and replace it with a new one.

However, while replacing it with another one, the deceased victim was said to have held on to an iron rod.

The source told this newspaper that Ola was electrocuted when the iron rod he held mistakenly touched the high-tension cable.

Confirming the incident to PUNCH Online on Tuesday, the state Public Relations Officer, Odutola Omolola, said the corpse had been removed and deposited at a mortuary in the area.

“It happened yesterday (Monday) when they were removing a billboard. He died instantly. The corpse has been deposited at the Idera Hospital Morgue,” Odutola said.