Sunday, May 24, 2026
FB X LI YT
Breaking
EDITORIAL: The Igbo Mockery of Yoruba Terror Attacks – A Rebuttal BREAKING 🇳🇬🚨: Doctor and Wife Kidnapped in Kogi Attack – Gunmen stormed a community in Kogi State, abducting a medical doctor and his wife. 🇳🇬 🇬🇧🎓FUTA alumnus Dr Abdullahi Saka rises to professorial cadre at University of Westminster — recognition for his strong impact in construction informatics and sustainable digital construction research. JUST IN: Oyo ACCORD Issues Stern Warning to Guber Aspirant Oriyomi Hamzat Over Alleged Screening Violence Cristiano Ronaldo Ties Mayweather with $300 Million Haul as Top Athletes Earn $1.4 Billion OUTRAGE 🇳🇬🚨: FRSC Condemns Abuja Traffic Shooting by DSS Operative — Alleged gunshots fired during stop raise concern over conduct and safety. Amin Tijjani Muhammad, popularly known as “Mayor”, is a political figure eyeing the Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC) seat in the Borno State House of Assembly under the Allied Democratic Congress (ADC). UPDATE 🇳🇬⚖️: Kano Rep Alhassan Ado Doguwa denies substance allegations over viral blue tongue clip, insisting it was “sweet blue candy” and blaming political enemies for the controversy.
NEWS

Lagos records 300 sexual, domestic violence cases monthly – DSVA

September 20, 2024 3 min read

September 20, 2024

By Samuel Ogunsona

The Lagos State Government has said it attends to at least 300 new cases of sexual and domestic violence monthly.

The state through its Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency (DSVA) is taking significant strides in addressing sexual and domestic violence.

Titilola Vivour-Adeniyi, Executive Secretary of DSVA, revealed this figure at a symposium titled “Are We Doing Enough? A Consideration of Lagos States Response to Sexual and Gender-Based Violence in the Last Decade”.

Vivour-Adeniyi noted that the state’s Domestic and Sexual Violence Response Team was established in 2014 and evolved into a full-fledged agency in 2021.

She stated that there have been so much positive changes in the state on sexual and gender-based violence due to the increased in formal and informal reported cases in the past 10years.

“As of last year, we provided services to over 6,333 survivors. We now attend to an average of 300 new cases monthly.

“People are more confident in the system. People are becoming more aware of support services that exist which they can take advantage of.

“We also have people serving as mandated reporters, good samaritans, whistleblowers, people seeing something and saying something and ensuring that something is done.

“Lagos State Government has declared zero tolerance for all forms of sexual and gender-based violence,” she said.

The executive secretary said that sexual domestic violence violated the fundamental rights of individuals and had far-reaching consequences on their physical, emotional and psychological well-being.

She said that the acts of violence often occurred behind closed doors, making it difficult for victims to seek help or justice.

“Lagos State, as a vibrant and cosmopolitan city, faces unique challenges in addressing domestic and sexual violence. Our growing population and rapid urbanisation have created pressures that can exacerbate existing vulnerabilities.

“This symposium provides a valuable platform for us to discuss the root causes of domestic and sexual violence, explore effective prevention strategies, and enhance our response mechanisms.

“By sharing knowledge, experiences and best practices, we can strengthen our collective efforts to combat these crimes.

“The fight against sexual and gender-based violence is truly a collective responsibility, and I am confident that by working together, we can create a safer Lagos for all,” she said.

Over the past decade, Lagos has seen a gradual shift away from the culture of silence surrounding sexual and gender-based violence, with increased reporting of cases.

However, The State Government’s is committed to address domestic and sexual violence as part of its efforts to create a safer, more supportive environment for victims and survivors.