Friday, May 22, 2026
FB X LI YT
Breaking
OFFICIAL: Al Nassr Win Saudi Pro League Title – First Championship Since Ronaldo’s Arrival Yoruba Excellence on Full Display: Meet Professor Segun Aina, the 40-Year-Old Genius with PhD, UK Degrees Now JAMB Registrar “I Nearly Lost My Life in the Struggle Against Military Rule” – Adewale Adeoye Celebrates First Award Alongside Soyinka, Tinubu, Fela, Others JUST IN: Adelabu Secures Massive Win in Ibadan South West LG as APC Primary Results Roll In Adelabu Continues Winning Streak in Oluyole LGA, Crushes Oba Sharafadeen Alli Adebayo Adelabu Humiliates Oba Sharafadeen Alli in Ona Ara LG – Landslide Victory Recorded BREAKING: Adelabu Floors Oba Sharafadeen Alli in Local Government As Oyo APC Guber Primary Results Trickle In BREAKING: “A Man Bought ₦30,000 Beans and Bread and Took It Into the Forest” – Lawmaker Warned Makinde in 2022 About Strange Movements in Old Oyo Park
NEWS

Port Harcourt Refinery to Resume Operation by December -Minister

August 26, 2023 3 min read

The Federal Government has reiterated its commitment to ending petroleum product importation soon, saying efforts were being redoubled to restore the nation’s local refining capacity.

This was made known by the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources (Oil), Senator Heineken Lokpobiri, during an inspection tour of the rehabilitation work progress at the Port Harcourt Refining Company (PHRC) Ltd. plant, in Port Harcourt on Friday.

The minister, who was in the company of his counterpart, the Minister of State for Petroleum (Gas), Hon. Ekperikpe Ekpo; Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources, Ambassador Gabriel T. Aduda, and the Group CEO, NNPC Ltd., Mr. Mele Kyari, said considering the level of progress recorded in the PHRC rehabilitation project, the plant would come back on stream by December this year.

He said: “Our objective is to ensure that in the next few years, Nigeria stops fuel importation. From what we have seen here today, Port Harcourt Refinery will come on board by the end of the year, Warri will come on stream by the end of the first quarter of next year, and Kaduna will also come on board towards the end of next year. If you add that to the Dangote Refinery, we will be able to stop fuel importation, and Nigerians will enjoy the full benefits of deregulation.”

The minister also said he was satisfied with the on-going rehabilitation work at the Port Harcourt refinery, noting that once all the refineries were back on stream, Nigerians would enjoy a better supply of petroleum products, and foreign exchange would be domesticated, leading to an improved economy.

Earlier in his remarks, the Group CEO, NNPC Ltd., Mr. Mele Kyari, said bringing back the refineries to their optimal levels was a national aspiration, and the company remained focused on delivering that.

“We are aware of our nation’s challenges in terms of fuel supply. But we are not here to give excuses. We are focused on delivering this rehabilitation project, our two other refineries, and all other investments towards revamping the nation’s refining capacity.

“We are hopeful that in 2024, this country will be a net exporter of petroleum products,” Kyari stated.

Also speaking, the Minister of State for Petroleum (Gas), Hon. Ekperikpe Ekpo said: “We are here to go into the field. Yesterday was the era of subsidies. Today, we don’t have subsidies. Today, people are in a desperate situation to heave a sigh of relief; and see how to live. You all know that petrol is very vital to our economy.

“All hands must be on deck to ensure that the refineries are working.”

During the visit, the two ministers also participated in the Refineries’ Rehabilitation Steering Committee meeting and held a meeting with the refinery’s Engineering, Procurement & Construction (EPC) Contractors.