Sunday, May 24, 2026
FB X LI YT
Breaking
EDITORIAL: The Igbo Mockery of Yoruba Terror Attacks – A Rebuttal BREAKING 🇳🇬🚨: Doctor and Wife Kidnapped in Kogi Attack – Gunmen stormed a community in Kogi State, abducting a medical doctor and his wife. 🇳🇬 🇬🇧🎓FUTA alumnus Dr Abdullahi Saka rises to professorial cadre at University of Westminster — recognition for his strong impact in construction informatics and sustainable digital construction research. JUST IN: Oyo ACCORD Issues Stern Warning to Guber Aspirant Oriyomi Hamzat Over Alleged Screening Violence Cristiano Ronaldo Ties Mayweather with $300 Million Haul as Top Athletes Earn $1.4 Billion OUTRAGE 🇳🇬🚨: FRSC Condemns Abuja Traffic Shooting by DSS Operative — Alleged gunshots fired during stop raise concern over conduct and safety. Amin Tijjani Muhammad, popularly known as “Mayor”, is a political figure eyeing the Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC) seat in the Borno State House of Assembly under the Allied Democratic Congress (ADC). UPDATE 🇳🇬⚖️: Kano Rep Alhassan Ado Doguwa denies substance allegations over viral blue tongue clip, insisting it was “sweet blue candy” and blaming political enemies for the controversy.
NEWS

FG Suspends Implementation of Expatriate Employment Levy

March 9, 2024 3 min read

The Federal Government has suspended implementation of the recently enacted Expatriate Employment Levy by the Federal Ministry of Interior, as administered by the Nigerian Immigration Service.

This was disclosed in a statement signed by the National President, Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines, and Agriculture, Dele Kelvin Oye, on Friday.

Oye said the resolution was taken, following a successful trade and investment outreach led by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in Qatar and a productive meeting with the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Doris Aniete, and the Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo.

The meeting was also attended by the President of the Petroleum Technology Association, the President of the Special Economic Zones Association, the Director-General of the Nigerian Turkiye Business Council, the European Union trade delegation head, the NACCIMA Chair of Digital Trade Group, and the representatives of the National Association of Small and Medium Scale Enterprises.

The statement reads: “The Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines, and Agriculture, in collaboration with key stakeholders, announces a temporary step down of the recently enacted Expatriate Employment Levy by the Federal Ministry of Interior, as administered by the Nigerian Immigration Service.”

Last week, on Tuesday, President Bola Tinubu launched the Expatriate Employment Levy.

However, the introduction of the levy attracted widespread condemnation from private sector groups.

Among other reasons, they said the levy would impact the much-needed Foreign Direct Investment by the current administration to rein in the free fall of the naira.

But announcing the suspension, the NACCIMA president said the policy reversal would allow for further consultations with NACCIMA and other vital stakeholders, adding that a review committee would be constituted.

“It was unanimously agreed that the implementation of the Expatriate Employment Levy would be paused, allowing for further consultations with NACCIMA and other vital stakeholders.

“A joint committee comprising members of the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment, the Ministry of Interior, NACCIMA, and other stakeholders will be formed to review the EEL policy.

“The rollout of the EEL, as initially proposed, will be deferred in accordance with the resolutions made”, he said.

According to the statement, Oye further thanked the Federal Government of Nigeria, the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment, and the Ministry of Interior for their magnanimity, understanding, and willingness to engage in dialogue and consider the implications of the EEL on the business community.

“This is indicative of their commitment to creating an inviting atmosphere for both local and international investors.

“NACCIMA and its partners remain dedicated to working hand in hand with the government to ensure that policies align with the nation’s economic objectives, aiming to position Nigeria as a prime destination for investments”, Oye said.

The NACCIMA president further advised investors, both current and prospective, to continue with their business activities and investment plans in Nigeria with confidence, noting that the government was ready to enhance the investment landscape and support economic growth.

“We advise all investors, both current and prospective, to continue with their business activities and investment plans in Nigeria with confidence.

“The assurances provided by both ministers during the negotiations have reinforced the Federal Government of Nigeria’s intent to enhance the investment landscape and support economic growth.

“We thank all stakeholders for their engagement and patience during this period”, Oye stated.